English 110 Economic Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Immigration and the U.S. Economy

3 posters

Go down

Immigration and the U.S. Economy  Empty Immigration and the U.S. Economy

Post by Lauren Day Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:17 pm

The Economic Policy Institute released a report on immigration and how it affects the U.S. economy in hopes to decipher the myths from the facts. As of 2012 over 40 million immigrants lived in the United States, in the EPI report 46 percent of immigrants work in traditionally white-collar positions and while immigrants only make up 16 percent of the workforce, they make up over 20 percent of dental, nursing and health aids and over 30 percent of all software developers. These figures show that immigrants are not just on the lower end of the economic ladder but rather middle and top as well. The federal government only sees positives when it comes to undocumented immigrants, due to their legal status, they are typically unable to tap into government programs besides pubic schooling which means that they don't take much money from the government and are putting more in then they get out. Deporting undocumented immigrants would be costly and difficult for multiple reasons, as for the report though "they also consume goods and services, thereby generating economic activity and creating jobs.” saying that by deporting immigrants it could inflict damage to the economy. This issue is heavily debated and with each study that is done inevitably has some form of bias, with all this being said do undocumented immigrants have more of a positive or negative impact on the U.S. Economy?

Lauren Day

Back to top Go down

Immigration and the U.S. Economy  Empty Re: Immigration and the U.S. Economy

Post by AdamMkIV Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:46 pm

Negative. As I earlier argued there was a census taken at the close of 2014, placing 11.7 million illegals in our country. Computing in the possibility (and reality of a higher number) of each illegal sending one dollar a day to their country; the numbers begin adding up quickly over lost money.
AdamMkIV
AdamMkIV

Back to top Go down

Post by PrestonT Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:48 pm

I believe that immigrants have an extreme negative effect on the economy. If you begin to allow immigrants to enter the country, it will only be a matter of time before immigrants completely take over the country. If the rate of immigrant population growth were to be six children to two parents and the population growth of the U.S. population were three children to two parents, then it would only be a matter of time before the people of America were only a small percent of the U.S. population. After looking at a sources comparison between the population with and without immigrants, it stated that the population with immigrants is 324 million people, but without, the estimated population would be 252 million people. That is a 72 million population increase with immigrants which is still heavily increasing.

PrestonT

Back to top Go down

Immigration and the U.S. Economy  Empty Immigration Effect on the US Economy

Post by amcdonald146 Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Preston, is your data primarily based off of undocumented immigrants or documented? Is it about all immigrants. Lauren, I didn't notice any type of source to back you up on your ethos. Could you provide the sources you used as to make your argument more credible. I feel sympathetic for immigrants as they come here for a better lifestyle but I understand how undocumented immigrants don't appear to be trying to assimilate themselves into America and agree that they aren't very deserving of what America has to offer. If the main fear of Americans is that immigrants are taking jobs away from them, why weren't they trying for those jobs in the first place. Also immigrants do a lot of the jobs that Americans view themselves to high to do, but someone has to perform them so we should embrace the immigrants that come here and try to be part of America, and contribute to society.

amcdonald146

Back to top Go down

Immigration and the U.S. Economy  Empty Immigration Effect on the US Economy

Post by amcdonald146 Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Preston, is your data primarily based off of undocumented immigrants or documented? Is it about all immigrants. Lauren, I didn't notice any type of source to back you up on your ethos. Could you provide the sources you used as to make your argument more credible. I feel sympathetic for immigrants as they come here for a better lifestyle but I understand how undocumented immigrants don't appear to be trying to assimilate themselves into America and agree that they aren't very deserving of what America has to offer. If the main fear of Americans is that immigrants are taking jobs away from them, why weren't they trying for those jobs in the first place. Also immigrants do a lot of the jobs that Americans view themselves to high to do, but someone has to perform them so we should embrace the immigrants that come here and try to be part of America, and contribute to society.

amcdonald146

Back to top Go down

Immigration and the U.S. Economy  Empty Negative effect

Post by markg133 Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:23 pm

Immigrants are a big problem in the United States and other countries around the world. The reason why immigrants are bad is because they affect the economy. Immigrants take up jobs that should be offered and given to people who are actually US. Citizens. It is very unfair to the people who are actually US. Citizens who do not have a job.

markg133

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruthcopas Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:16 am

I qgree and think immigrants are a major problem in the United States. They affect the economy by taking over jobs that US citizens should have. It is an injustice to the people who are living in the US and cannot find a job.

Ruthcopas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down