English 110 Economic Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teacher Salary

4 posters

Go down

Teacher Salary  Empty Teacher Salary

Post by SavannahMtz Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:21 pm

There is a lot of controversy in discussions regarding teacher pay and that it is not enough for the work that is done. Teachers spend more than half of the year teaching and engaging with students. That does not include parent teacher conferences, grading work, preparing lesson plans and staff meetings. In the article, "How Does Teacher Pay Compare? Methodological Challenges and Answers" by Sylvia Allegretto teachers are actually said to be well compensated when work hours, weeks of work and other benefits are taken into consideration. Allegretto also writes that professions such as accountants, reporters, clergy, registered nurses and computer programmers make $116 more per week than teachers, yet their occupations skill requirements are comparable. Teachers should not be looked down upon than others when the requirements needed for the degree/profession are the same.

SavannahMtz

Back to top Go down

Teacher Salary  Empty Re: Teacher Salary

Post by JulieN Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:15 pm

I agree that all the work that teachers do is overlooked. They put a lot of time and work into preparing lectures and lessons. They also spend a lot of time grading, but people still fail to recognize that teachers work very hard for their students to help them succeed. I've had plenty of teachers who go out of their way to help their students and they even pull money out of their own pocket to provide supplies for students. Teachers should definitely be better compensated for all the work that they do.

JulieN

Back to top Go down

Teacher Salary  Empty Teacher wages

Post by markg133 Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:44 pm

I also believe that teachers do not get paid enough money for the time and work they do. However i do not believe that they should get paid a lot more then what they get paid now. The reasons why is because teachers are just teaching their students and the amount of work they have to do at home is depended on how much work they assign.

markg133

Back to top Go down

Post by oliviaphan Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:03 am

I agree, but are you talking about public, private, or college teachers?

oliviaphan

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineT Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:15 pm

The work teachers put in is always overlooked. They do go to school and have what is considered one of the easiest degrees, but that does not mean that the work itself is easy. Teachers work more than anybody is aware. They go home and grade over 100 assignments. They stay after school to help the students that need help and that ask for it. They have to go into work everyday knowing that not everyone in their class is there to learn, but just there to graduate or get by. People don't realize that they are there as babysitters as well. Students have lost all respect for teachers and I feel like they should get paid more for having to take care of all the students, because that is what the job has become. A babysitting job. Many of the students take advantage of their teachers and I feel that teachers should be better compensated for the hours and dedication they put into their jobs.

JazmineT

Back to top Go down

Post by dviramontes Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:24 pm

I agree that stuff that the teachers do does get overlooked, but i disagree that they should get paid more. like you stated in your post they only work half a year. meaning that they have a 2 month vacation, christmas and spring break. even if there work is comparable to engineers and other professions, they actually work for the whole year for every year. I think that they get paid a good amount already. Here is an article that gives the opinion on why teachers shouldn't get a pay raise.
the federalist.com why teachers shouldn't get a pair raise.

dviramontes

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruthcopas Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:28 am

I believe that teachers do not get paid enough money for the time they put into becoming a teacher. However, i do not believe that they should get paid a lot more than what they get paid now. They have the same holiday hours as students and yet still get paid for this and we have to take that into consideration.

Ruthcopas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum